photo blogheader_zpstbffqjqe.jpg  photo about_zpsgiujxeiv.png  photo home_zpspagqab70.png  photo recipes_zpsdzbe1vbc.png  photo diy_zpsp4upu5gu.png

Friday, October 19, 2012

neutral fall wreath ... ♥


One of the things i love about NY is our Autumn season
it's my favorite time of the year weather wise
(as long as we don't get any early snow storms)

and i've been slowly (very slowly) working on a little bit of fall decorating 
i am anything but traditional when it comes to holiday decorating ...
i love using neutral colors, so that it's easy to add pops of colors here or there 
without everything looking too "theme-ish" ...know what i mean??

so i'm lovin' the burlap/white combo on this wreath i made for my front door :)
(i'm calling this a wreath, even though i said i wouldn't)
(but now i am, 'cause well, i guess if it's hanging on the front door
you can call it a wreath, even though technically, it's not)

moving on...

here's how you make one of your own ♥

i started out by tracing a pretty scalloped frame shape onto brown paper
cut it out then traced that shape with a sharpie onto a large sheet of styrofoam, 
that can be found in the floral department at any craft store
(with the wreath forms and such)


now this stuff is pretty thick & crunchy, so power tools are needed
the hubs used a jigsaw to cut this out for me :)


use a small dowel rod or a few wooden skewers to connect the to sides together
finish off with hot glue 


once you've got the form together, now it's time to cover it 
cut long strips of felt at approx. 2 inches wide
(i probably had 6-8 strips measuring 2 yards each)
i then ran them through the sewing machine sewing a line down the middle
with a dark brown thread, just to add some color and break up the white


wrap the felt around the form starting from the back
straight pins work great with the foam, no hot glue is needed 


here's a peek at the back ...


keep going until it's completely covered :)
(it took me an hour or so, to get it just right)


embellish as you please!
i cut some leaf shapes out of burlap and some more felt


then used my zigzag stitch to sew them together
give them a little bit of a layered look


pinned them on and stuck some pretty feathers here and there :)


i love finding these little loopey frames (that's what i call them)
at thrift stores or yard sales ... i snatch them up since i seem to use them all the time
for different things ... a little spray paint is all they need :)


all done :)
it's a lengthy project, but in love how it looks on my front door
it blends well with my other fall decorations
hope to show you more of them soon!


gladness in my ♥ for you
sweet parties here ♥ :

live laugh rowe ♥ live laugh linky Thursday
the 36th Avenue ♥ Party Time!
30 Handmade Days ♥ linky party pity party
Liz Marie Blog ♥ Link up with Me, Liz Marie
Freckled Laundry ♥ air your Laundry Friday
Tatertots & Jello ♥ Weekend Wrap up Party
Funky Junk Interiors ♥ Saturday Nite Special
i {heart} naptime ♥ Sundae Scoop Linky Party
Hubby Made Me ♥ Throwback Thursday
Tip Junkie ♥ Tip me Tuesday
Free Pretty Things for You ♥ whatever you want Wednesday

34 comments:

  1. LOVE this!!! The combo of the shape and those embellished leaves is adorable!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful, I love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful project, Jaime. I'm totally going to start looking for "loopey frames" from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the interesting shapes I'm seeing for "wreaths" these days! Love your color combo too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful wreath. Could be used at any time by changing out the attachments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this...thanks for sharing great inspiration! I'm a new follower on FB and so sorry it took me so long to "find" you...but excited to look back at what you've posted.
    Megan from http://www.chaosserveddaily.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful wreath, Jamie! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So so SO pretty!!! I love how you made your own "wreath" shape. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love it!! Very different from other Fall wreaths. I absolutely love the shape & color!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! I never would have thought about cutting out a different shape but it is so unique and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it... as per usual! :) Perhaps it will be missing from the door next time I come for a visit ;). Xoxo...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it... as per usual! :) Perhaps it will be missing from the door next time I come for a visit ;). Xoxo...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your "wreath" frame is lovely and so unique. It has a quiet elegance about it. Thanks for sharing it. Happy weekend.

    xo
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found you via Liz Marie. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this! And your About Me cracked me up. I think we share the same love of parentheses :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful, Jaime! I wish I had the time to make one but not right now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love, love this! The unique shape totally makes it!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a unique and beautiful wreath! This is definitely one of my favorites! I love the shape and the leaves are so pretty. LOVE LOVE! I'm crossing my fingers you'll share this at my Throwback Thursday party! I hope to see you there and thank you for sharing :) http://www.hubbymademe.com/throwback-thursday-no-15/

    ReplyDelete
  18. So beautiful! Love the shape of your wreath, and the pretty burlap leaves!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely beautiful! Stopping over from Live Laugh Rowe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is absolutely adorable!!

    -Fotini

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful! Your creation is a breath of fresh air in fall decor.:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely love this! And we get styrofoam pieces all the time at work so I'm super excited now, lol

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is the cutest wreath I have ever seen! Love EVERYTHING about it! You are one talented lady!

    hugs ~ Crystelle
    http://www.crystelleboutique.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwww...sweet words! thank you Crystelle ♥ glad you like it!

      Delete
  24. This is absolutely gorgeous! I love how it is so simple yet beautiful. Every detail is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I saw this on Tip Junkie and drew my attention. So lovely. And it seems easy too, (ok I don't own any jigsaw!)! Glad to have found you. Following you via Bloglovin' now!
    Wish you a lovely Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww! thank you for the sweet compliments! i'm so glad you're here! ♥ much love

      Delete
  26. This turned out lovely! Would love it if you linked up on my blog hop www.w-t-fab.com/search/label/bloghop. Also let me know if you'd like to follow each other!

    ReplyDelete

comments ♥ i just love them and read them all (sometimes twice) (heehee) ...

Blogging tips