photo blogheader_zpstbffqjqe.jpg  photo about_zpsgiujxeiv.png  photo home_zpspagqab70.png  photo recipes_zpsdzbe1vbc.png  photo diy_zpsp4upu5gu.png

Monday, September 17, 2012

diy laundry soap ... ♥


making your own laundry detergent is all over blog land
but i thought i'd share a few pretty pictures, to make it seem like it's soooo fun to make :)
(it actually kinda is ... heehee)
the ingredients are the same as most, just the ratio is what i changed 
after researching whether or not it was ok to use on a front loading machine, and it is!
i've been using it for almost a year
sayonara store bought 14 million dollars a box laundry detergent
oy.

this is the way i make it :)



chop up the soap in small chunks ... it's easier on your processor that way :)
(i use this processor only for making detergent
it's a small kitchen aid that i had before i upgraded to a larger one)


then mix the borax & washing soda into a large bowl or container
my pretty glass container (from Target) holds a 6 batches ...
so 6 cups of each of the 3 ingredients 
(18 cups total)
(i'm bad at math)
:)


process 1 cup of the chopped soap at a time
i scoop a bit of the powder mixture in with the soap
the dry ingredients help grind the soap, which is thick & dense
and it produces much finer soap flakes :)
(i sound smart don't i)
(heehee)


once you're done pour into the pretty glass container
hard work doesn't seem hard at all when it's in a cute glass jar
and with a cute scoop to boot
:)


i usually have extra ingredients
i just store them in a big metal bucket for next time
everything all in one place makes it easier to pull out when i need to make more
(we may or may not have gone 5 days without washing clothes 
since someone's butt was not in laundry making soap gear)
(cough cough)


 labels make me happy :)


the day i made the laundry soap, i tried a recipe for fabric softener too!
... i've been using it for a week, it's working great
i noticed my towels seemed soft & thick
(yes... thick... but that part is just my imagination since i made my own fabric softener
my towels surely must be thicker ... right?)
(my girlfriend made me those cute dish scrubbies ... they make me happy too :)



i have a few fun things planned these next few weeks
and since i have Christmas on the brain ...



every Wednesday beween now and December 12th,
all pretty gift wrapping items will run 20% off
in the store! let's make stuff & wrap it!
so start thinking bundles & packages with me 
and stock up on tags, tape and embellishments for your Christmas gifts
come back and take a peek Wednesday for the scoop!
 i hope to have a bunch of new tags and gift wrapping kits in the store throughout this week

much love to you all & with gladness in my ♥
psalm . four . seven 


sweet parties here ... ♥
Tip me Tuesday ♥ Tip Junkie
live laugh linky Thursday ♥ live laugh rowe

11 comments:

  1. I have really got to get on this DIY laundry soap making train!! Your pretty pictures do make soap much more fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really fun to make and so easy! I wish I could find the recepie in swedish...
    Have a nice day!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just might have to try this! Thank you for the pictures and recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the look of this WAY better than my bog bottle of tide. May have to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen so many recipes for liquid and was planning to go forward with one of those. I also use a F.L. washer and was wondering how the powder works with them? I have only used powder yrs ago and hated it due to powder remaining on our clothes after washing and then still after another washing to get hopefully get rid of it .. how much of your formula do you use per load of laundry?
    Love the pictures, you are right, makes me want to get busy with this and make my own batch. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jamie :)
      yes! the powder works great, i'm a total laundry powder mama, i don't like the drippy gooey liquid stuff :)
      i have a front loader and it works great, no problems, no issues with white residue either ... i use 1/4c. for a normal load, 1/2c. for really heavy stinky laundry (boy stuff :)
      have a great week ♥

      Delete
  6. This is great! I have always wanted to make my own, but never got around to doing it. I will have to try it know! Have a great week! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is your homemade laundry detergent safe for the new washers?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty soap. Mine never looks that pretty. I think it needs a glass jar. :) Yes, your fabric softener MUST be thicker because it's homemade. hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jaime I want you to come and take my pictures....they are always so cute. I use an old silver baby cup in my laundry powder! I got it at the thrift store. It makes me smile every load...smiles...Renee

    ReplyDelete
  10. I followed your link from instagram because I wanted to know, how do you feel this works for someone with sensitive skin? We stick to All free & clear because I know it won't cause any breakouts or rashes, but this seems like a wonderful, cost effective alternative...

    ReplyDelete

comments ♥ i just love them and read them all (sometimes twice) (heehee) ...

Blogging tips